Hello again! Hope you’ve all had a fantastic week, as you can tell I’m uploading a lot more frequently than usual. And I’ve got so many great recipes in store for you all. Get used to me, Shanice Eats is back and better.
So who likes pasta? If so what’s your favourite pasta dish, is it the classic spaghetti bolognese, or carbonara or – My favourite has to be lasagna, although I do love a good pasta, Pescatore. The salty taste from the seafood with the sweet tangy tomato sauce wo! let me calm down. But yes back to the lasagna, I remember when I was younger, watching Boomerang, a tv channel on Sky, Garfield would come on. A ginger tabby cat with an obsession with lasagna. It always intrigued me why he loved it so much but when you come across a good lasagna you will understand why. And yesterday I was in Euphoria. I wanted my lasagna to be different, you know I can’t go simple with the flavours, therefore, I was thinking why not an Italian pasta dish with a Spanish influence!
So here it is … my Juicy tomato & chorizo Catalan lasagna!
Oh, wait! Before I forget, have you followed the Shanice Eats Instagram page yet?! Once you do, you can get access to behind the scenes and you can try cooking the dishes I make and tag #shanice_eats or @shanice_eats for a feature and a shout out on my story.
Thank you for all your support!
Cooking time: 1hr 20 mins
- Pasta sheets
- Raw minced meat ( i used lean beef )
- Catalan chorizo or any type of chorizo
- Whole Milk
- Butter (salted or unsalted)
- Garlic infused oil
- Cheddar cheese
- Red peppers
- Tomato passata
- Button mushrooms
- Red onions
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons of aromat
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 2 OXO beef stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning (Schwartz)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Firstly, chop the red peppers and onions into fine slices and the mushrooms into tiny cubes and the tomatoes into medium sized cubes.
- Next, heat garlic infused oil into a big pan and add the onions to brown.
- After the onions are brown add the tomatoes, pepper and add the two OXO beef stock cubes.
- Then, once the vegetables have slightly softened add the minced meat and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes in the tomato and pepper marinade.
- When the minced meat has cooked, slowly stir in the tomato passata
- Now it is time to add the seasoning and chorizo, add the cumin, paprika, hot paprika, aromat, sea salt, mustard, balsamic vinegar, sugar, turmeric, garlic and ginger and small chorizo chunks ( if you prefer the chorizo to be the main flavour of the lasagna cut it into bigger chunks, however, I cut it into small pieces to avoid the flavour of the chorizo overpowering the minced meat.)
- Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes and put it to a side to start the Bechamel sauce.
- For the Bechamel sauce heat a pan with butter, when it melts quickly mix some cornflour into the pan. Slowly, pour the whole milk to the flour paste and mix till the flour is dissolved. This has to be a quick process, do not leave the flour and butter to cook for too long, I made that mistake the first time I tried making the sauce, but over time it becomes easier. Sprinkle some cheddar and parmesan into the sauce and add the nutmeg, black pepper and onion salt.
- Assemble the lasagna into a wide dish, starting with the tomato sauce, then the pasta sheets and bechamel sauce, continue to layer the sauces and pasta.
- Lastly coat the lasagna in cheddar cheese, parmesan and chorizo slices and cook for 35/45 minutes and it’s done!
I served the lasagna with red cabbage, radish, grated carrot and yellow pepper salad. Just to keep you feeling less guilty about the calories lol
Thank you for reading another one of my recipes have a lovely week and see you very soon!