Fluffy vanilla pancakes layered with a tart apple sauce, sprinkled with crunchy nutmeg and cinnamon crumble chunks. And a lashing of creamy caramel.
The recipe is finally here!
I know it’s been a while. If you follow my Instagram, you may have seen my previous story.
I’ve been on a little break organising my diet since I have an intolerance to dairy, sugar, wheat, rye, barley etc.
But like one of my favourite quotes, PROBLEMS are wake up calls for CREATIVITY. And I’ve done my research and planning for the gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free recipes in store for you all. I will continue to upload recipes with dairy, sugar etc. like this one here, as well as food recipes for people with intolerances similar to mine. Lucky enough in this day and age, there are many alternatives. Therefore I am excited to start this journey and new food series I call “Nutriishan.”
Cooking Time:30 mins
- 80 g Plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites
- 25g butter
- 50g white sugar/ or brown
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 125ml whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Apple sauce (mine is homemade)
- 100g plain flour
- 100g melted butter
- 50g sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 50g sugar
- Lemon juice
- Double cream
- Firstly, start with the caramel, heat a small pan with sugar, water and a splash of lemon juice. The water and the lemon juice prevent the sugar from crystalising. Make sure the sugar has dissolved and it’s on high heat. Do not touch the pan until the sugar turns a light brown. That should happen in 4/5 mins. Gently move the pan to distribute the colour and take the pan off the heat.
- Once the pan is off the heat, immediately stir in the double cream and leave it too cool and it’s done.
- Now on to the crumble, heat a pan with butter.
- Once the butter is melted use a wooden spoon to stir in the dry ingredients, the flour, mixed spice and lastly the sugar. If crumbly bits are not forming, add a bit more flour until the mixture is crumbled.
- Sprinkle the crumble on a flat pan and put it into the oven on low heat.
- While the crumble is cooking, prepare the pancake mix. Whisk one egg yolk, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk in a bowl. Sieve in some flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth. After this is done heat a frying pan on low heat.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until fluffy and stiff peaks form. Slowly sprinkle the sugar while whisking. Do not over whisk.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake mix. Lightly oil the frying pan and make your pancakes, how you prefer it.
- Once the pancakes are cooked spread the apple sauce in between the layers. Take out the cooked crumble and sprinkle on top.
- Lastly, drizzle the apple crumble pancakes with the creamy caramel sauce and IT’S FINISHED!
You can serve this delicious dessert with hot vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream. Make sure to share the guilt with your loved ones. They will love you even more lol. Thank you for reading my recipe, please do try it out and do contact me, I’m here to listen to your ideas and food questions. Also remember to follow, my instagram: @nutrishanice. Thank you and have a beautiful day!