Miso paste! Don’t you just love how flavoursome it can make your dishes?
I particularly enjoy adding some to my Chinese pho. The rich umami flavours are delicious. Miso is not only great for taste but it has a range of nutritional benefits, perfect for a strange time like now.
If you didn’t know already, Miso is fermented soybeans! I am a huge fan of fermented foods, as they contain healthy probiotics that promote gut health and improve digestion. And the gut is as important as the brain! Therefore miso could do you well!
Probiotic-rich foods may also boost your immune system, giving you fewer chances of catching an infection and may aid in fighting many diseases. However, further research needs to be done to support this.
Long story short, Miso is amazing and it should be essential when cooking oriental dishes, especially pho!
Hope you enjoy this warm, spicy bowl of goodness!
Cooking time: 1hour
(Peri Peri marinade for the sweet corn and chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 red onion
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Peri-Peri seasoning (homemade or shop-bought)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon of squeezy mustard
- 5 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 maggie chicken stock cube
- 5 pieces of corn on the cob
- 5 fresh chicken breasts
- Rice noddles
- Half a red onion sliced
- 1 spring onion stalk sliced
- 1 miso soup sachet
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of raw cane sugar
- 1 maggie chicken stock cube
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of golden mountain seasoning sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil
- Bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon of light butter
- 1 handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Red onions sliced
- Green beans
- Spring onions sliced
- Fresh Corriander chopped
- 1 boiled egg
- Firstly, prepare the peri-peri marinade. In a food chopper, blitz the lemon juice, one red onion, garlic cloves, peri-peri seasoning, tomato puree, mustard, water, olive oil, and a chicken stock cube.
- Use half of the peri-peri marinade to season the chicken breasts and sweet corn.
- Wrap them in one large piece of foil and cook in the oven at medium heat.
- While the chicken and sweetcorn are cooking, grab a large pan and heat it with some olive oil.
- Fry the red onion and spring onions till golden brown.
- Then, fry the remaining peri-peri marinade until brown. Add five cups of water to the mix.
- Season the soup with, miso paste, paprika, chipotle chilli flakes, sugar, a chicken stock cube, soy sauce, seasoning sauce, sesame seed oil, bean sprouts and butter. Accordingly, add the salt and water, if it lacks taste add more salt and if it is too salty add more water.
- Cover the pan and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is brewing, prepare the rice noodles. Pour hot water onto the noodles and let it rest till it’s al dente. Not too soft!
- Once the chicken breast and sweetcorn are cooked. Pour the juices from the foil into the soup.
- Slice the chicken breasts and prepare each bowl. Add the rice noodles first, then the chicken breasts and pour the pho over the rice noodles. Lastly, garnish with a boiled egg, spring onions, green beans, red onions and coriander.
And it’s finished!
Thank you for reading!
Hope you and your family are staying safe!
Till next time,
Shanice Harris x