Juicy seasoned chicken breast, topped with crisp lettuce leaves, crunchy red onions, tangy homemade kimchi, creamy avocado and finished with fresh kimchi mayo. All sandwiched in a homemade buttery brioche bun!
(Cooking time: 4 hrs)
(4 Brioche buns)
- 180g strong bread flour + extra for folding
- 50g melted butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar OR xylitol OR caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 7 tablespoons of lukewarm water
- Egg wash
- Sesame seeds (optional)
(Fried chicken fillets)
- 4 raw chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of pure honey
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 egg
- Plain flour
- 4 tablespoons of light mayo
- A small squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of kimchi juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of squeezy mustard
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 Avocado thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Sliced red onions
- Begin with the brioche dough. In a bowl mix the water, sugar and yeast together. Then, add the flour and mix. Add the egg, melted butter and salt to the yeast last, to avoid deactivating it.
- When the dough is well combined, add handfuls of strong bread flour, bit by bit until the dough is no longer sticky and can be kneaded without flouring the surface.
- In the bowl, fold and press the dough down using the tips of your fingers, for five minutes. Cover the dough with a clean dampened tea towel and keep it in a warm place to ferment for an hour.
- When the hour is up, the dough should have doubled in size. Fold and press the dough again for five minutes, wrap the dough in cling film and place it in the fridge to ferment for an hour.
- After the hour, remove the dough from the fridge and let it cool to room temperature for 20 – 30 minutes. Remove the dough from the cling film and cut the dough into four equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into a round ball and place them onto a greased tray or use parchment paper. Cover the brioche buns with the clean dampened tea towel and keep it in a warm place for an hour.
- While the dough is fermenting, prepare the chicken breast, using a meat tenderiser, pound the chicken until they are evenly flat with some thickness.
- Season the chicken with onion salt, adobo seasoning, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar, honey, pepper, salt and one egg. Massage the seasoning into the chicken and add in some flour and water until it’s sticky.
- Place the chicken to one side and gently heat two cups of oil into a pan. While the oils getting hot individually coat each chicken breast in some more plain flour.
- Fry the chicken pieces for 5 – 6 minutes on each side till crispy golden brown and let it sit on a cooling rack.
- The brioche buns should be ready to bake, but before you do coat the buns in egg wash and sprinkle a hand full of black and white sesame seeds. Bake the buns in the oven on 180C for twenty-five minutes.
- While the buns are baking prepare the burger fillings and kimchi mayo.
- The buns should be a dark golden brown colour, when they look like this take them out of the oven and let them cool, then slice them in half and lightly toast them on each side.
- Assemble the burger with the chicken breast first, then the lettuce, some kimchi, red onions, avocado and lastly a tablespoon of kimchi mayo. And it’s finally complete!
Hope you enjoy this delicious burger as much as my Mum and sister did!
Have a lovely day,
Until next time!
Shanice Harris x